Medical Assistant (Diploma/Certificate)
Have you always wanted to work in the medical industry and help people? Due to the country's aging population and evolving trends in the health care industry, the need for skilled professionals in the medical field has never been greater. In fact, medical assisting is projected to be one of the fastest-growing occupations in the nation through the year 2022.* The Medical Assistant Diploma program at Brightwood College offers comprehensive training and education that could prepare you to enter this growing and rewarding field.
Attending a medical assistant school could help you get started on the path to a career in the health care industry. Medical assistants help physicians with routine medical exams, recording vital signs and medical histories, and explaining treatment procedures to patients and their families. Medical assistants are often called upon to help patients feel at ease and explain the health care provider's instructions.
A Career-Focused Program
The health care industry is competitive, so you need education and training to help you stand out. At Brightwood College, we offer professional education and comprehensive medical assistant courses that include hands-on training in both administrative and clinical responsibilities, taught by faculty members who have professional experience in their fields. We also offer a path to professional certification.
The program offers medical and clinical courses that can train you to assist a supervising physician with the following:
- Assisting with physical examinations
- Aiding in minor surgical procedures
- Administering injections
- Performing EKGs, venipuncture, and routine laboratory and diagnostic tests
- Preparing examining room instruments and equipment
- Recording vital signs
Much of your training will be conducted in our medical training labs, which are designed to look and feel like real-world health care offices with examination tables, minor surgical instruments, lab testing machines and supplies, and CPR and EKG equipment.
Medical Office Training
Because computer technology is vital in today's health care office, our medical assistant training program also provides instruction in administrative and computer skills that complement your medical knowledge. The coursework covers the following topics:
- Word processing
- Patient data documentation and maintenance
- Patient appointment scheduling and reception
- Basic accounting procedures
- Insurance claims filing
- Medical information transcription and correspondence preparation
Medical Assistant Certification
Certification or licensure can provide an additional credential for obtaining employment in the field; in some instances, certification or licensure may be required for employment in certain locations. This course is intended to help eligible students prepare for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) Examination sponsored by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) Examination sponsored by American Medical Technologists (AMT).†
Students completing the medical assistant training program may seek the following entry-level positions in a doctor's office, clinic, or other medical facility:
- Medical assistant
- Hospital donor unit assistant
- Blood bank donor unit assistant
- Front office assistant manager
Prior to graduation, you will complete a practicum where you can apply the knowledge, skills, and work habits you gain in school to a real-world career setting.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014–2015 Edition, Medical Assistants, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm (accessed January 2014). Expected growth rate through the year 2022. National long-term projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions, and do not guarantee actual job growth.
† The School cannot guarantee a student's eligibility either to take any exam or become certified, registered, or licensed. A student's eligibility may depend on his or her work experience, completion of high school (or its equivalent), not having a criminal record, meeting other licensure or certification requirements, or the program or School itself having appropriate accreditation or licensure. Externship sites may themselves require a criminal background check or medical examination. Please refer to the Certification, State Board, and National Board Exams section of the relevant campus catalog for further guidance.
The medical assistant program is available at the following Brightwood College locations:
- Bakersfield Campus - Diploma
- Chula Vista Campus - Diploma
- Fresno Campus - Diploma
- Modesto Campus - Diploma
- Palm Springs Campus - Diploma
- Sacramento Campus - Diploma
- San Diego Campus - Diploma
- Vista Campus - Diploma
- Las Vegas Campus - Diploma
- Charlotte Campus - Diploma
- Dayton Campus - Diploma
- Nashville Campus - Diploma
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Access gainful employment information including program length, tuition costs, financing options, graduation rates and median debt load of students who have completed the program:
For details about specific program outcomes and offerings, please review the Academic Programs section of your course catalog.
For additional information on tuition and fees, please review the tuition information section of your campus course catalog under Financial Information > Tuition and Fees.