Medical Billing and Coding Specialist (Diploma/Certificate)
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the health care industry is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations through 2022, due, in part, to an aging population and innovative medical technology.* This trend has created new opportunities within the industry, and not all of today's health care jobs require patient contact. Medical billing and coding is an administrative support specialty that is in particularly high demand as patient records are being increasingly scrutinized by health insurance companies, regulators, courts, and consumers.* At Brightwood College, you could develop the skills required to seek entry-level employment in this field.
Earn Your Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate
The Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate program can provide you with the knowledge and technical skills required by employers in health care services. Coursework provides instruction in topics such as:
- Anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology
- Data information processing
- Medical billing, coding, and terminology
- Insurance billing
- Medical terminology and medical office management
Real-World Externship Experience
Prior to graduation from Brightwood College, you will be required to complete a medical billing and coding externship to gain on-the-job experience in a real-world work environment. During your externship you will practice assigning ICD-9 and CPT codes to patient medical files, insurance claims, and other documentation while under supervision of professional health care practitioners.
Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Career Opportunities
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be awarded a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Certificate and can pursue entry-level employment with a variety of employers in the health care industry, such as:
- Doctors' offices, clinics, and hospitals
- Home health agencies and nursing homes
- Insurance and medical billing companies
- Medical group practices
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-2017 Edition, Employment Projections: 2014-2024 Summary, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/ecopro.nr0.htm (accessed December 2015). Expected national growth rate through the year 2024. National long-term projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
The medical billing and coding program is available at the following Brightwood College locations:
- Hammond Campus - Diploma
- Las Vegas Campus - Diploma
- Charlotte Campus - Diploma
- Nashville Campus - Diploma
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Access gainful employment information including program length, tuition costs, financing options, graduation rates and median debt load of students who have completed the program:
For details about specific program outcomes and offerings, please review the Academic Programs section of your course catalog.
For additional information on tuition and fees, please review the tuition information section of your campus course catalog under Financial Information > Tuition and Fees.